Monday, April 2, 2012

Chapter 1

In Chapter 1 of The Great Gatsby, readers get an introduction to the main characters of the book. That character that seems to most resembles me is the narrator, Nick. Like Nick, I try to be as nice as possible around people, even if I do not like them at first. I am also extremely tolerant of people, no matter how boring they seem. When Nick first walks into Tom's mansion, he seems very intimidated and feels like he does not belong in such an ornate house. This is the same way I feel in expensive home. I feel that I cannot touch anything because I would either break it or get it dirty. Nick is able to sense a genuine compliment from a fake one, similar to me. When Daisy compliments him by saying "'I love to see you at my table, Nick. You remind me of a - of a rose, an absolute rose,'" and Nick responds in his thoughts "This was untrue. I am not even faintly like a rose. She was only extemporizing" (14). Like Nick, I can tell when someone is being genuine or just trying to seem nice to impress someone by pretending to be nice. Most of the time, I find it being the latter of the two. I think by greatly relating to the character I will thoroughly enjoy this book. I am excited to see where the story goes with the scandal introduced between Daisy and Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment